James Ernest Stanborough was born in London, in 1862. At the time of the 1881 census, James Stanborough was a 19 year old art student living with his widowed mother, Mrs Frances Stanborough, at Sandon Lodge, Upper Richmond Road, Putney.

In 1890 James Ernest Stanborough married Nicolata Louise Botto, (born 1872, St Pancras, London), the second eldest daughter of Augusta Davies and Sebastiano Botto, a repairer of pianos. (Sebastiano Botto, Nicolata’s father had been born in Montacute, Somerset around 1832; he was the son of an Italian immigrant named Joseph Botto). The marriage of James Ernest Stanborough and Nicolata Louise Botto, took place in Putney during the 3rd Quarter of 1890.

When the next census was taken on 5th April 1891, James E. Stanborough was recorded as a “Photographer” residing at 244, Upper Richmond Road, Putney.

During 1891, James E. Stanborough paid for the construction of a specially designed photographic studio at 69 Devonshire Road, Bexhill-on-Sea. A street directory of Bexhill-on-Sea, published by the “Bexhill Chronicle”, in 1891, notes that there was a “Photograph Studio in Course of Erection” between the shop of W. A. Dunlop, Ham & Beef Purveyor and The Marine Mansions Hotel.
The following year, Stanborough’s photographic studio at 69, Devonshire Road, Bexhill-on-Sea was open for business.

By 1901, James E. Stanborough seems to have retired and was living at 195 London Road, St Leonards-on-Sea, further along the coast.

According to the 1911 census, James, aged 49, was living at “Villa Nicolata”, 52, Baldslow Road, Hastings, Sussex. He was retired and “living on own means”, which meant he had money.

He was living with his wife, Nicolata (after whom the house was named) his three children and a servant.
James Ernest Stanborough died in Putney in 1941, aged 80. [ The death of James E. Stanborough was registered in the London district of Wandsworth during the 4th Quarter of 1941].

Other Photographers and Studios

Scroll to Top