The Victoria Hall was built by Mr. Stewart and opened in 1887. It was called the Victoria Hall because 1887 was Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee.
The Hall was a Congregationalist church but was also used as a private school and for public events.
St. John’s Church was designed by Mr. Henry Ward who also designed the Town Hall, St. Stephen’s Church and The Sussex Hotel. The church opened in 1897, during Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee.