Town Hall & Town Hall Square

The Town Hall was built in 1894 and opened in 1895 by the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Joseph Renals.

The memorial to Henry Lane in the middle of Town Hall Square was unveiled in 1898. Lane was known as ‘the father of local government in Bexhill’ and died in 1895.

The time-line for the Town Hall

1891 April – The site was inspected for potential purchase for a proposed Town Hall
1892 March – In principal, agreement was reached to buy the land from the De La Warr estate
1893 July – The purchase was sanctioned by the Local Board for £580
1894 – Henry Ward was appointed as the architect and builder Charles Thomas’ tender, of £5,250,  was accepted in February.
1894 – In May, Earl De La Warr made the gift of the land that is now Town Hall Square.
1894-1895 – The Town Hall was built over a very severe winter.
1895 – The Town Hall was officially opened by Lord Mayor of London
1902 – Brought about the Incorporation of the Borough
1906 – The Lord Mayor of London’s visit to open the Park extension
1907 – Grant of Arms
1908 – The Town Hall extended
1925 July – No. 36, Station Road was added to site
1937 – The Town Hall was extended into Amherst Road
1940 – September – The Town Hall was bombed and a great deal f damage was done to the building.
1962 – The house, ‘Chignal’, added to the site

Scroll to Top