Rank: Private SD/1077
Regiment or Ship: 11th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment
Service Number(s): SD/1077
Occupation: Brickyard Labourer
Date of Birth: 1894
Place of Birth: Battle
Date of Death: 23.07.1916
Place of Death: Richebourg St. Vaast Place of Burial / Memorials:
St. Vaast Post Military Cemetery, Richebourg-L’Avoue
Address: 1 Laburnham Cottages, Ninfield Road, Sidley
Photos and newspaper articles
Charlotte Naomi Adams (daughter of Albert Adams, Brick & Coal Merchant in Bexhill) was born 1867 Bexhill. In 1881 they were living in Brickyard Cottage Sidley Green, and by 1891 they were living at 6 Brickyard Row, Sidley Green.
George Isted born 1860. In 1881 he is listed as living at 83 Foord Road, Folkstone Kent. By 1891 he is living at 7 Brickyard Row, Sidley Green and his profession is listed as “general labourer”. By 1911 the family are living at 1 Laburnham Cottages, Sidley (Ninfield Road). George is listed as an “Excavator”. He died on 14th October 1915, just a few months after the death of his oldest son George Albert.
George Albert Isted born 1888 Battle and died 28th April 1915 in Gallipoli. W0039 ISTED George (Private)
Naomi Mary Isted born 1890 and died 1981 aged 90.
Reginald Thomas born 1892 Battle, and died 1972 aged 80 in Hastings W0154 ISTED Reginald Thomas (Private)
Arthur Henry born 1897 Battle W0155 ISTED Arthur Henry (Private)
Louisa Emily Isted born 11 April 1899 Battle and died 1982 aged 83 in Hastings.
Albert Stephen Isted born 4th Mar 1901 and died September 1974 in Battle aged 73.
Naomi Mary Isted married Arthur James Hammond in 1911. He enlisted on 11th December 1915. W0156 HAMMOND Arthur James (Gunner)
Louisa Emily Isted married Harold C. Izzard in 1927 in Eastbourne. Their son Harold John Izzard was born in Eastbourne in 1928 and is the father of Bexhill Museum’s patron Eddie Izzard.
First World War Experience
Sidney volunteered to join the Royal Sussex Regiment at the Bexhill recruiting office in September 1914 after Colonel Claude Lowther, the owner of Herstmonceux Castle and an M.P. for Eskdale in Cumberland, had received permission from the War Office to raise a Battalion of local men. Within two days 1100 men had enlisted and had been designated as the 11th Battalion (1st South Down Battalion), given the nickname of Lowther’s Lambs and were trained at Cooden Camp until July 1915.
Sidney and the Battalion later moved to Detling Camp, Maidstone before becoming part of the 116th Brigade, 39th Division stationed at Witley Camp, Surrey until they embarked at Southampton landing at Le Havre on 6th March 1916.
On 29th June the 11th, 12th and 13th Battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment were lined up against the German lines around the tiny French village of Richebourg l’Avoue. The Battle of the Somme was imminent and to confuse the Germans a diversion was planned whereby the 39th Division would attack an area known as the Boar’s Head.
The 11th and 12th were to attack, with the 13th in reserve, but on the eve of the battle Lt.-Colonel Grisewood, commanding the 11th, criticised the plan and as a result was dismissed. The 13th were called to replace the 11th in the assault with the 11th placed in reserve.
The Royal Sussex Regiment were slaughtered when the attack took place on 30th June with 379 killed and a further 749 wounded. That Sidney was unhurt was due almost solely to his Battalion being placed in reserve.
On 24th July the Battalion were entrenched at Richebourg St. Vaast and Sidney was included in a party led by Lieutenant Gammon to raid enemy trenches. During the mission Lt. Gammon was wounded, two soldiers killed and another missing, later also listed as killed in action. One of these men was Sidney John Isted.
Information courtesy of John Hammond.