Samuel Scrivens is remembered for his land holdings in Bexhill. These holdings passed to him from his wife’s family. Thomas and Joshua Moorman were Iron Founders and Saw Makers of Old Street, London. Ann Moorman was married to Samuel Scrivens and after the death of the Moorman brothers their property, which covered a large acreage, came to Ann Scrivens. He took an interest in the town’s progress and, owning Belle Hill Farm, he laid out London Road which was a farm track to the limit of his own land. This extended from Victoria Road to today’s traffic lights at the bottom of King Offa Way. The road was widened and the land at the side of the road let for building.
Mr Scrivens was one of the first elected members of the Local Board at its formation. He took a great interest in the Bexhill Soup Kitchen of which he was the Treasurer. The meetings of the Executive Committee were held at ‘The Firs’ which was his residence. When he later realised that the original name of the house was ‘Millfield’, after looking at old documents, he changed the name back to ‘Millfield’. He was also interested in the Bexhill Flower Show and exhibitions were held in the grounds of ‘Millfield’ for many years.
Scrivens was a member of the Conservative Club but never spoke publicly, regretting that he had not taken to public speaking in his youth. Apart from owning Belle Hill Farm he also owned Lower Worsham Farm, the Millfield estate, Chantry Cottage in the Old Town and the Nurseries in Amherst Road. He is strongly suspected of enlarging the old cottage to the nursery. He also owned other land in Bexhill and Hastings. He died in 1898 and was buried in the same grave as his wife, who pre-deceased him by 21 years, in Barrack Road Cemetery. His property was left to his daughters.