Reginald Arthur Larkin 1897 – 1985

R A Larkin largeFounder of R. A. Larkin & Bros. Ltd. When R. (Reg) A. Larkin first came to Bexhill in the early post-first world war period, he started sub-contracting in Knebworth Road. Conditions on the site were shocking and there was no organisation. He knew that during bad weather men were unemployed for many months at a time. After founding the firm of R. A. Larkin & Brothers in 1924 he kept a small staff going all the year round by retaining some land for building ‘spec.’ houses while waiting for another contract. An early development was Walton Park. A large part of Broadoak Lane, Broad View and Wardway were built on the site of Careys old brick yard.

The firm went on to develop part of the north side of Cooden Drive, the White House Farm estate, Newlands Avenue. The post-war period saw the need for flats and Millfield was converted. Blocks were built on the site of Normandale School and Thornbank and the ‘West Indies’ blocks were built over a number of years. Individual houses were built in Maple Walk and Clavering Walk. Probably the finest was ‘Cordova’ in South Cliff, built for Sir Eustace Watkins. Estate Agents still advertise as Larkin-built property’ as a guarantee of a ready sale.

Scroll to Top