The Bexhill Charter of 772AD
The Anglo-Saxons were eventually conquered by King Offa of Mercia who made a grant of 8 hides (approximately 500 acres) to Bishop Oswald of Selsey with instructions to build a church at the existing manor of Bixlea – the Charter was dated 17th August 772AD.
A Saxon village, seen today as the Old Town of Bexhill, developed around a now much altered 12 centuries old Church of St. Peter.
The Bexhill Stone, mounted in the tower, was discovered under the south aisle during extensive alterations in 1878. It is reputed to be the lid of a reliquary belonging to St. Wilfred.