Mayor of Bexhill 1918 – 1919. George Herbert Gray was for some 30 years, from the 1890s, the Agent for the De La Warr Estate and as such was much involved in the creation of Bexhill-on-Sea. He was responsible for laying out Dorset, Magdalen and Manor roads. He was the architect for St. George’s Presbyterian Church (1901) as well as several other local buildings. He also designed the war memorial at St. Mary Magdalen’s Church. He had much to do with the Speed Trials of 1902 when his efforts in organising an improved road alignment and surface along East Parade enabled the event to proceed. He was a partner in the firm of Riches and Gray, estate agents, and was one of the first professional men to open an office south of the railway in the developing Bexhill-on-Sea.
One of his first duties a Mayor was to proclaim the Armistice on 11 November 1918. He was also an early member of the Executive Committee of the Bexhill Museum Association. His efforts to develop Bexhill eastwards were largely frustrated by the presence and proximity of the Bexhill Gas Works, which opened in Ashdown Road in 1887, and the speed with which Webb developed his land to the west of Sea Road as the Egerton Park Estate, St. Leonards Road and Devonshire Road being amongst the first sites.