The first golf club was founded in 1880 and used an existing cottage on the site as a clubhouse, this was extended in 1912.
Up until the Second World War, the golf links stretched from the East Parade to Galley Hill with greens on both sides of the railway line.
The following description of Bexhill’s Gold Course is taken from “The Tatler”, dated August 28th 1930.
“This Club, of which Lord De La Warr is President, the oldest in Bexhill, was founded in 1890, and is beautifully situated close to thc sea, some five miles from Hastings. The links are about half a mile from Bexhill Central Station and a mile from Bexhill West, so that the new electrified railway from London makes it easily accessible. The course is not unusually long, but it is quite long enough to allow all but the longest hitters to open their shoulders and let ’em have it. With its excellent greens and beautiful fake watches turf it looks much easier to play than it really is, for there are many slight and cunning slopes which have to be allowed for, as the newcomer finds to his cost. Some of the views, particularly those to be obtained from holes near the sea-front, are exceptionally fine, and the club-house is voted all that such a place should be. Including ladies, there are 350 members..”
The Bexhill Golf Club’s first honorary captain was Arthur James Balfour – later to become the 1st Earl of Balfour, KG, OM, PC, FRS, FBA, DL who was a British statesman of the Conservative Party and who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1902 to 1905.