Barrack Road School (Chantry Country Primary School)

In 1885, in the very early days of the building of the new town of Bexhill, a new school was built in Barrack Road to cater for girls and infants of St Peter’s Parish. It incorporated the Wilson Memorial School, which had been accommodated in one of the old wooden houses on the opposite side of the road and which dated from the time of the Kings German Legion camp there, in the Napoleonic wars.

As the town continued to grow, from the turn-of-the-century, there were many changes, throughout the country, in the educational system and, in Bexhill, many small schools sprang up built as the demand grew.

In 1956 a new, larger school, St Peter and St Paul’s, opened many smaller establishments replica watches closed and the small school in Barrack Road became the Chantry County Primary school.

© Copyright Bill Johnson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Scroll to Top