The Convalescent Home opened in 1881, before the development of the resort which would become Bexhill-on-Sea, began.
When it was first built, on the southern slopes of old Bexhill, the Home looked out over marsh and fields to the sea until the new town of Bexhill began to grow a few years later, in 1883.
The Home, established Bexhill’s reputation as a healthy place to live or visit.
It was built on the site previously occupied by Cheeseman’s farm. In 1905, another home was built in Cooden, this was then used by male patients and the Old Town home was reserved for women.