The “Granville” was the last major purpose-built hotel in the town. It was completed in 1902 but didn’t open for business until 1905 because it could not, initially, get a bar license, The reason given for the refusal was that one had been issued to the Central Station and the local authorities felt that the “Granville” was too close to be licensed as well.
In the Bexhill-on-Sea Observer, dated 12th April 1902, a small description of the hotel is given.
“It [the Granville Hotel] has been erected at the junction of Sea-road and Jameson-road, in proximity to the new railway station of the London, Brighton, and South Coast Company, and, being also within the comparatively few steps of the sea, it enjoys one of the finest positions in the town. Mr Durward Brown is the architect of the building, the arrangement of which is a testimony to his professional skill, which is so well known in Bexhill, while the contractors are the firms of Messers Martin Wells and Company, of Aldershot. Building operations commenced on 3rd June last year; about 100 men have been engaged, and the work has proceeded rapidly, as a look at the extensive block will show. It is hoped to get the hotel ready for opening by next Christmas. In all there are about 100 rooms on the four floors. The building is well windowed throughout, and has three frontages, an exceptional advantage, which visitors will appreciate. On the ground floor are the dining room, coffee-room, library, and billiard-room; on the lower ground floor are situated the grill rooms and smoking lounge. The main entrance is in Sea-road.”
The Hotel closed in 2000 but the derelict building was not sealed off sufficiently to stop children from sneaking inside and playing. What happened is not known for certain but, in 2003, a fire started that totally destroyed the Grade II-listed building.