The Manor House is thought to have been built in about 1250. It was the easternmost residence of the bishops of Chichester and they would have stayed here while travelling around their territory.
After Viscount Cantelupe married Muriel Brassey, in 1891, the Manor House was refurbished and they moved in in the following year – from, then, up until their divorce in 1902, the Manor House became the centre of high society in Bexhill.
At its height, the Manor House included 7 Reception Rooms, 19 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, 2 cottages, a garage block and a detached ballroom (the Manor Barn).
The Manor House was demolished in 1968.