STEVENS Reginald Harold

Category: Military
Rank: Able Seaman Z/106
Regiment or Ship: Royal Naval Division
Service Number(s): Z/106
Occupation: Shop Assistant and Bootmaker
Date of Birth: 1896
Place of Birth: Waterford, Ring, Ireland.
Address: 8 Windsor Road., Bexhill

Photos and newspaper articles

Family Information

Parents:- Walter Stevens, born 1867 in Bexhill, died in 1959, and Ann Stevens, born 1873 in Willingdon, Sussex, died in 1939. In 1911 Walter was working as a Postman and he was a Naval Pensioner.  W0204 STEVENS Walter


Walter George Stevens, born 1899 in Baltimore, Cork, Ireland.  W0030 STEVENS Walter George

N.B. In 1911 the family were living at 14 Reginald Road, Bexhill on Sea, but by 1919 had moved to 8 Windsor Road.


First World War Experience

Reginald joined the Royal on 20th October 1914 and was, therefore, award the 1914-15 Star. His enlistment papers say that he had a ‘previous service’ at 44 Ongar Road, Fulham, S.W.6.

A full description of him is on his enlistment and he is shown to be 5’ 9” tall, with a chest of 34½” – expanded to 36½”. He was of fair complexion with dark brown hair and grey eyes. He had two brown moles – one over his right flank and one on his left forearm. His religion was Church of England and he stated that he could swim.

Poor Reginald seems to have had several health problems and the following information is taken from his service records:-

Reginald joined the Benbow Battalion on 5th March 1915 and was ‘checked for Discs’ on 24th April. In June, 12th, he was transferred from Benbow Bn. to the Anson Battalion.

He was diagnosed with haemorrhoids on 19th October and transferred to Haslar Hospital two days later. It is noted on his records that his next of kin were informed of his hospitalization. He was sent back to England on the H.S. “Dunluce Castle”. Afterwards he was again posted to the Anson Bn., Gallipoli.

However, on 1st December 1915 he was diagnosed with malaria and was transferred from the Dreadnaught Hospital, Greenwich, S. E. to the R. N. Convalescent Hospital, Chatsworth, Derbyshire on 5th. His condition was regarded as ‘satisfactory’ and his next of kin were not informed. He seems to have recovered sufficiently to be transferred back to duty in January of the following year – 1916.

On 13th November 1916 he was suffering from shell shock, and 5th January 1917 he had appendicitis.

Reginald was demobilized on 27th January 1919 and was paid £25.10.0.

Search again

Back to WW1 Individuals directory
Scroll to Top