Rank: Corporal Mechanic
Regiment or Ship: Royal Air Force
Service Number(s): 13426
Occupation: Plumber, fitter and electrician
Date of Birth: 1882
Place of Birth: Eastbourne, Sussex
Date of Death: 24.02.1953
Place of Death: Bexhill HospitalAddress: 51 Windsor Road, Bexhill
Photos and newspaper articles
Parents: Samuel Cook, b. 1860 in Membury, Devonshire, d. 1946, and Mary Ann Cook (nee Easton), b. 1863 in Bexhill, d. 1923.
Ethel Cook, b. 1889 in Bexhill.
Ada Cook, b. 1891 in Bexhill.
Charles P. Cook, b. 1899 in Bexhill.
Samuel and Mary Ann lived in Parkhurst Road in 1891 moving to 1 Albert Road by 1901. Samuel was employed as a bricklayer.
Spouse: Ernest married Isabel Ann Brooks (b.1881 in Herstmonceux) on 19th September 1903 in Bexhill, and they had one child – Gwendolin, born in 1904 in Bexhill. They lived at 51 Windsor Road until 1918 and, on his death, at 25 Windsor Road.
His probate records – dated 12.6.1953 – showed that he left his estate of £990.2s. 8d. to Howard William Hunter, a power station engineer.
First World War Experience
Ernest joined the Royal Flying Corps on 4th November 1915 as a Second Air Mechanic but by 1st. November 1917 he had risen in rank to Corporal Mechanic. He was shown to be 5’ 4¼” tall with a chest measurement of 33”, and stated that his religion was Church of England.
He was stationed at SARD (Southern Aircraft Repair Depot) based at Farnborough. During the hostilities somewhere in the region of ten were established – SARD becoming No. 1 ARD. Later he was moved to Chingford (north east London) which was established as a Royal Naval Air Service training base. Ernest’s trade of tinsmith sheet metal worker means that he was a metal worker and was probably employed on maintaining and repairing airframes.
In April 1918 the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service were merged into an independent Royal Air Force.
On 27th February 1919 Ernest was transferred to the Royal Air Force Reserve and his medical fitness record said he was ‘A’ class. He was finally discharged from the Forces on 30th April 1920.