Category: Conscientious Objector
Rank: Private 2569
Regiment or Ship: 7 Company Eastern Non Combatant Corps
Service Number(s): 2569
Date of Birth: 1882
Place of Birth: Hollington, Sussex
Date of Death: 15.02.1953
Place of Death: St. Helen’s Hospital, Hastings, Sussex Place of Burial / Memorials:
Address: Station Road, Bexhill
Photos and newspaper articles
Click on any image to see a larger version
Father William Bastin
died aged: 38
born: 1853 – Alphington, Devon
Mother – Emily Bastin
died aged: 39
born: 1852 Southampton, Hampshire
Siblings (John Bastin):
- Mary Bastin, born 1879, Hollington, Sussex, married Mark Ward, in Bexhill, in 1908
- Ruth Bastin, born 1881 Hollington, Sussex
- Grace Bastin, born 1887, Hollington, Sussex
- Caleb Bastin, born 1888, Hollington, Sussex – married Freda M. Willis in 1930, probably in Bexhill
- Eunice Bastin, born 1891, Hollington, Sussex – married William G. Stevens in 1927, probably in Bexhill
John Bastin married Rebecca Ruth Lane, in Bexhill, Sussex, in 1913 – there are no records of children.
Children of Mark & Mary Ward (John’s sister):
- Mary Ellen, born 1910, possibly Bexhill
- Frederick M. Ward, born 1911, possibly Bexhill.
- Frank C. Ward, born 1915, possibly Bexhill
- Children of Caleb & Freda Bastin (John’s brother):
- Freda E. G., born 1931, in Hastings district (the mother, Freda, died 1931, possibly in childbirth.
First World War Experience
John went before a Tribunal on 19th July 1916 (as reported in the “Chronicle” and the “Observer” on 22nd July) as a Conscientious Objector, and was exempted from combatant service.
He was called up for military service on 22nd August 1916 but his Army records, however, show nothing of note.
Few of his Army Records have survived and those that have do net tell us much about him.
John was a Conscientious Objector
After the war, John carried on his watch making business at 30, Station Road, Bexhill for some years.
1, Park Cottages, Hollington, Sussex (1891, 1901, & 1911 censuses)
8, Wilton Road, Bexhill, Sussex (Probate Record)
John Bastin died in 1953 and left a Will, with his widow as sole beneficiary. The following is a transcription of the entry in the “England & Wales National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966”, page 469.
“BASTIN John of 8 Wilton-road Bexhill-on-Sea Sussex died 16 February 1953at Saint Helens Hospital Hastings Adminsitartion London 13 May to Rebecca Ruth Bastin widow. Effects £2820 13s 6d.”
Note – £2,820, in 1953 would be worth just over, £53,000, today, in 2013.