The Metropole was the second grandest hotel in Bexhill, after the Sackville Hotel on De La Warr Parade. Work began on the Metropole in 1897 and it was opened in May 1900.
Where it stood, the present (2016) putting green (west of the De La Warr Pavilion) now stands.
It was a lavishly furnished hotel and attracted the upper classes – the Lord Mayor of London stayed there, on 21st July 1906, when he came with the Sheriffs of London to open the extension to Egerton Park.
It was used as a RAF billet during the Second World War and, on 22nd May 1940, there was a serious fire. The building also suffered bomb damage and was demolished in 1955.