The building was constructed in the angle between Station road and Buckhurst Road, sometime between 1928 and 1934. According to local directories, it was known as “Waghorn’s Garage” until 1969, when it is no longer mentioned in directories.
After 1969, the garage continued, as a fuel filling station, through to today. In addition to this property, it also owned workshops in various locations over the years. In 1938-40, “Waghorn’s Motor Works” were in Belle Hill and, from the late 1950s to the mid-1960s, there was a workshop at 27, London Road. They were Austin dealers from c1948 to 1966, changing to Saab and Toyota by 1968.