This garage was part of the re-development of the south-west corner of Little Common village.

It was completed in May 1938 and replaced the former village smithy, as did so many early village garages. The building was designed to fit into its surroundings using a vernacular style with ground floor brickwork, first floor tarred weatherboarding and a large tiled roof with dormer windows. Cooden Engineering had two premises, the filling station on the roundabout and a workshop/garage near Cooden Beach Railway Station. They were agents for Vauxhall, Bedford, Austin, Morris and Fiat cars. The company changed to Cooden Motors Limited, in 1973.

Cooden Engineering Co’s workshops were in Cooden Sea Road on the corner of The Gorses almost opposite Cooden Beach Station.  Skinners bought the garage in July 1978, called it Cooden Motors and sold it to Joe Davis in July 1984. Skinners was founded by Thomas Skinner in 1852 but by the 1960s to 1991 was owned by Ted Wilmoth and Bob Andrews.





Scroll to Top